Each year, NSI and the Health Ministry recognize one rural health care worker for his or her excellent service to Nepal.
The criteria for the Nick Simons award are
- Length of rural service
- Appreciation by community
- Increased institutional utilization
- Creative drive to establish new services
NSI and the government work from a long list of nominees, first conducting phone interviews with community officials, and later visiting the institutions where finalists are working.
The award is given with the recognition that it is symbolic: many others labor in a similar, heroic manner all across Nepal. The award comes with a cash prize.
Nick Simons Award Winners
- 2007 – Tarun Poudel, Baglung District Hospital
- 2008 – Posh Raj Shrestha, Wana Health Post, Sankhuwasabha
- 2009 – Anugra Thaguna, Haat Sub Health Post, Baitadi
- 2010 – Ram Sharan Poudel, Deurabli Sub Health Post, Ramechap
- 2011 – Yasodha Ojha, Mauwa Health Post, Doti
- 2012 – Md Firoz Rain, Jante Health Post, Udayapur
- 2013 – Megh Raj Ban, Maunabudhuk Health Post, Dhankuta
- 2014 – Baladev Pandeya, Puja Health Post, Pyuthan