Two principles guide NSI’s training section: (1) Select those cadres most likely to have impact in the government’s rural system, and (2) Partner with Nepal’s best hospitals to provide quality training.
Choosing the right people for training.
Which workers constitute the ideal rural health care team? Who must be present in order to perform an operation, set a fractured arm, manage a patient with fever or a child failing to thrive?
NSI works closely with Nepal’s Ministry of Health and Population to fill gaps in the essential health care team. This frequently involves a programmatic approach known as ‘task-shifting’: doing the job with the available workers.
|Anesthesia Assistant||Basic anesthesia for emergency operations||Nurses and paramedicals|
|Biomedical Equipment Technician||Equipment repair and preventive maintenance||
College grads and hospital support staff
|Mid-Level Practicum||Clinical skills for general care||Paramedicals|
|Skilled Birth Attendant||Routine and complicated deliveries||Nurses and midwives|
|Ultrasound||Basic diagnosis of pelvis and abdomen||Junior doctors and MDGP|
|Continuing Medical Education||Distance course in patient management||General doctors|
|Operation Theatre Training Management||Management of Operation Theatre||Nurses|
Training through a diverse network.
Quality health care training requires clinical experience in an apprenticeship modality. NSI works through a network of larger hospitals – mission, NGO, and government – mostly located outside of Kathmandu.
|Outside Kathmandu||Inside Valley|
|1. Bharatpur Hospital, Chitwan
2. Tansen Mission Hospital, Palpa
3. AMDA Hospital, Damak, Jhapa
4. Lamjung Community Development Hospital, Lamjung
5. Siddhartha Hospital, Butwal
6. Mahakali Zonal Hospital, Kanchanpur
7. Mechi Zonal Hospital, Bhadrapur
8. Okhaldhunga Community Hospital, Okhaldhunga
9. Hetauda Hospital, Hetauda
10. Dhaulagiri Zonal Hospital, Baglung
11. Rapti Sub-regional Hospital, Ghorahi, Dang
12. Seti Zonal Hospital, Dhangadi, Kailali
13. Bayalpata Hospital, Accham
|1. Bir Hospital, Mahaboudha
2. Model Hospital, Putalisadak
3. Maternity Hospital, Thapathali
4. Patan Hospital, Lagankhel
5. Civil Hospital, Baneshwor
6. BMET, Teku